Zoom Troubleshooting Steps
Cannot join Zoom? Or do you have other trouble with your Zoom call? Go through the steps below to resolve your problem.
- Which class? Are you in the right class? Is it an A day or B day? Mondays and Wednesdays are A days. You can check the FALA Academic calendar for Fridays. https://flagarts.com/academic-calendars
- Check Zoom Status: If the entire Zoom system is down, you can find out here: https://status.zoom.us/. If you see that Zoom is down, please check your course’s Canvas page, http://flagarts.instructure.com/. Some courses have Google Meets as a backup and others will put up information to do in case of a Zoom problem.
- Your wifi connection. Check your wifi connection, if you show low wifi strength, then move closer to your router. Brick walls, steel walls and other objects between you and your wifi router, may slow down the internet connection to your computer. Right away, try to find a better location with more signal strength. In the long run, you may find a better location for your wifi. If you are using a school hotspot, make sure you have it near your computer. Alternatively, plug your computer directly into the wifi router via USB or Ethernet for the best connection.
- Other users. Do you have other family members or people sharing your internet connection via wifi or directly plugged into your network? 1st, if you are having trouble connecting, or if you have trouble hearing clearly, seeing clearly or being seen and heard clearly, then you may have multiple family members with problems. Have everybody use the minimal setting they require. So, turn off the camera, it’s more important to be heard than seen. Ask your family, friends and colleagues to do the same.
- Other devices. Do you have an X-Box, Playstation or other device that also uses the internet? Do you have a sibling or parent who is playing an online video game? If so, ask them to stop, console games that connect to the Internet can lead to very poor Zoom performance, ask them to wait to play until school is over. Sometimes devices download game and system updates when you are not using them, it’s best to shut them down or turn them all the way off to be sure you have the most bandwidth available for Zoom.