Dr. Laura Umphrey – Board President – FALA Board of Trustees
Welcome to the start of a new academic year at Flagstaff Arts and Leadership Academy!
Being a board member provides a unique perspective on FALA. Our job, as board members, is to ensure the stability and sustainability of the school for the present day and for future generations. It’s challenging volunteer work, but I can’t think of a more rewarding or better way to serve our community than to help contribute to the success of this school.
As you may know, FALA has many amazing qualities. Here is but a small sampling:
- FALA earned the ranking of the #10 high school in Arizona, according to U.S. News and World Report high school rankings for 2017.
- FALA has an 87% AP participation rate; clearly demonstrating academic rigor and evidence that our students are ready for college and the challenges beyond.
- FALA is a leader in 21st century technology as it works toward becoming a Google School.
- FALA graduates go on to some of our Nation’s most prestigious colleges, university and art schools.
- FALA has earned awards at the Violas in a variety of categories.
- 2013 Viola Award for Outstanding Art Organization
- 2013 Viola Award for Outstanding Arts Educator, Janeece Henes
- 2016 Viola Award for Outstanding Arts Educator, Michael Levin
- FALA students give back to the community through service learning:
- each High School student is required to provide a minimum of 120 service hours
- raised over $35,000 for hunger fighting organization with our Empty Bowls Benefit
- raised over $10,000 for Girls Education with our Chairs for Change Event
- raised over $8,000 for homelessness with ou Box City Porjdn
- made over 400 pieces of Love luggage for Foster Care Children
- have done 1,000+ hours in humanitarian work
The FALA Board of Trustees is in the final stages of developing an action-oriented strategic plan that will guide FALA into the future.
FALA’s Strategic Plan Goals are being developed but include:
- Strengthen the economic stability and viability of the school
- Expand the school in terms of enrollment and space to create an ideal campus for learning, growth and achievement for students
- Create long term stability for staff and faculty through a variety of measures that create consistency and promote growth
- Improve community engagement and perception, inclusive of both the FALA family and the Flagstaff community
- Enhance curriculum, including extra-curricular activities and other programs, to create a more valuable and enriching experience for the students
As we continue to grow as a school, please know that partnerships with our alumni, parents, local businesses and Flagstaff community are vital to the success of FALA. On behalf of the Board of Trustees, I want to thank you for your commitment to and support of FALA.